Thursday, December 4, 2014

Living a little....

Living in the 21st century is amazing! We have more technology, medicine, and global outreach than ever! But something here has made us lose touch with ourselves. The more we focus on this 21st century the less we focus on ourselves. We forget that our lives need to be lived. 

Before going on exchange I thought I was living my life. It turns out I was wrong. Though I may have been living, I was not living it in the way that made me feel fulfilled. Yes I did things that made me happy, and yes I tried to do things outside my comfort zone, but this did not make me a fulfilled person. I was doing all the thing I thought I wanted to do; aiming for a good college, volunteering, studying. But what I have realized is that I need more than that. Yes those things are good, and yes I still want to complete them, but they can not complete me as a person. I needed adventure, love, and a wider perspective. 

I felt homesick for a place I didn't even knew existed. Coming to Japan I have found what I feel like is my second home. I have never felt such comfort and happiness as I have living here. We often hear the phrase "home is where the heart is," and I believe it. This is why I don't view home as just a physical place. I know I will always feel at home in Nagoya, but more importantly I will always feel at home with the people I have meet there. My family and friends here will always have a piece of my heart. 

Even though I have found a new place to call home I can not say I feel fulfilled. If anything I am more conscious of the fact that I am unfulfilled! Because I have been able to get a taste of the life I long for, now more than ever, I want to live life. I want to be able to see, hear, explore new places. I want to travel the world. I want to see where my heart will call home next. I know I can't go back to how I was living before. I have grown as a person. So now I look to lead a fulfilled life and I cannot wait to see what lies beyond the horizon. 

Photo taken in Okinawa, Japan at the Okinawa Peace memorial museum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment